The first crusade : the deeds of the Franks and other Jerusalemites : "Gesta Francorum et aliorum Hierosolimitanorum" / translated into English for the first time by Somerset De Chair ; engravings by Clifford Webb.
- London : The Golden Cockerel Press, 1945.
- Physical Description:
- 92,  pages : illustrations ; 31 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsD161.1 .G47 1945+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "The present translation is based upon a collation of the three mediaeval manuscripts now accepted as being nearest to the original."--Introduction.
"The First crusade has been designed, produced, and published by Christopher Sandford at the Golden Cockerel Press, London, in Poliphilus type on Arnold's hand-made paper. Composition and press-work under the supervision of F.J. Newbery at the Chiswick Press. Printing completed on the eighteenth day of December, 1945. Compositors: J.W. Perrin and A.W. Dick. Pressman: H. Barker. The edition is limited to 500 numbered copies. Numbers 1-100 have been specially bound."--Colophon.
"First English edition (in London) A.D. 1945."
Bibliography of the Golden Cockerel Press, 1921-1949, 168
BAC: British Art Center copy is no. 11 of 500; signed by the translator. Bound in white full vellum by Sangorski & Sutcliffe.
SML,Y Bh34a +890gg copies 1-2: Photocopies. "No. 114."
- Subject Terms:
- Crusades -- First, 1096-1099.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
Wood engravings -- 1945.
YCBA Collections Search
Gesta Francorum et aliorum Hierosolymitanorum. English, The first crusade , 1945
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.