Oxonia depicta sive Collegiorum et aularum in inclyta Academia Oxoniensi ichnographica, orthographica & scenographica delineatio : LXV tabulis æneis / expressa a Guilielmo Williams cui accedit uniuscujusque collegij aulæque notitia.
- Additional Title(s):
Collegiorum et aularum in inclyta Academia Oxoniensi ichnographica, orthographica & scenographica delineatio
- [Oxford and London] : [Published by William Williams and a Group of London printsellers], 
- Physical Description:
-  leaves (1 folded) : illustrations, maps, plans 54 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B 2019 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Etched and engraved throughout. Issued complete in 1733. The work consists of 66 etched and engraved plates. In early states the plates are unnumbered, while in later states roman numbering was added to all (or nearly all) the plates. See British Architectural Library.
"The concept of the present work was to produce an updated version of David Loggan's Oxonia illustrata (1675 ...), although it is unclear whether the impetus came from Oxford University or from the Welsh artist and engraver William Williams. The work seems to have been born in the early 1720s, and by the end of 1726 Williams had begun work and was ready to issue a prospectus."--British Architectural Library.
Etched and engraved title-leaf (plate [I]) within an architectural border. Dedication (plate [II]). "Index tabularum." and list of subscribers (plate [LXVI], often actually bound as plate [III]). Plate [VI] is a large folded sheet. The remaining plates are all double-page size, and are sometimes also bound folded.
The plates not etched/engraved by Williams are by W.H. Toms, John Sturt, "W. Thorp" (unidentified) and members of the Parr family.
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 3667
Upcott, W. Bibliographical account of the principal works relating to English topography, pages 1107-1108
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in full calf. Rebacked. With the armorial bookplate of the Earl of Derby.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- England -- Oxford -- Early works to 1800.College buildings -- England -- Oxford -- Early works to 1800.Derby, Earl of -- Bookplate.Oxford (England) -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.University of Oxford -- Pictorial works -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1733.
Etchings -- 1733.
YCBA Collections Search
Williams, William, active 1724-1733, Oxonia depicta sive Collegiorum et aularum in inclyta Academia Oxoniensi ichnographica, orthographica & scenographica delineatio , 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.