Metropolitan improvements, or, London in the nineteenth century : displayed in a series of engravings of the new buildings, improvements, &c., by the most eminent artists, from original drawings taken from the objects themselves expressly for this work / by Mr. Thos. H. Shepherd ; comprising the palaces, parks, new churches, bridges, streets, river scenery, public offices and institutions, gentlemen's seats and mansions, and every other object worthy of notice throughout the metropolis and its environs, with historical, topographical, and critical illustrations, by James Elmes ...
- Additional Title(s):
London in the nineteenth century
- London : Published by Jones & Co., Temple of the Muses (Late Lackington's), Finsbury Square; and sold by Simpkin and Marshall, Stationers' Hall Court; and all book and printsellers, 1828 [i.e. 1827-1830]
- Physical Description:
- vi, ii, 172 p.,  leaves of plates : ill. ; 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA683 .S54 1828+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Engravings by Robert Acon, James Baylis Allen, John Wykeham Archer, Thomas Barber, M. S. Barenger, H. W. Bond, James Carter, John Cleghorn, Thomas Dale, William Deeble, M. Fox, Samuel Freeman, Frederick James Havell, J. Henshall, Thomas Higham, John James Hinchliff, Samuel Lacey, A. McClatchie, Henry Melville, Samuel Owen, William Radclyffe, John A. Rolph, James C. Redaway, William Raymond Smith, James Tingle, Robert Tingle, William Tombleson, Henry Wallis, Robert Wallis, William Wallis, W. Watkins, and Charles Westwood; after Thomas H. Shepherd.
Originally issued in 41 numbers between May 1827 and January 1830. Cf. British Architectural Library.
Followed, in 1829, by Shepherd's London and its environs in the nineteenth century.
With an added engraved title page.
Adams, B. London illustrated, p. 369-380
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1478-1840, 2997
BAC: British Art Center has forty one of the original drawings by Thomas Hosmer Sheperd: Prints and Drawings B1977.14.3383-3423.
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: lacks list of engravings (ii p.) and p. 105-172. Bound in half black roan and marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- England -- London.Jones and Co. -- Publisher.London (England) -- Description and travel.Simpkin and Marshall -- Bookseller.Steel engraving -- Specimens -- 1827-1830.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Shepherd, Thomas H. (Thomas Hosmer), Metropolitan improvements, or, London in the nineteenth century , 1828 [i.e. 1827-1830]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.