The perspective of architecture : in two parts : a work entirely new, deduced from the principles of Dr. Brook Taylor : and performed by two rules only of universal application : part the first, contains the description and use of a new instrument called the architectonic sector : part the second, a new method of drawing the five orders, elegant structures, &c. in perspective / begun by command of His Present Majesty, when Prince of Wales, by Joshua Kirby, designer in perspective to His Majesty.
- London : Printed for the author, in Duke-Street, Grosvenor-Square, by R. Francklin, in Russel-Street, Covent-Garden; and sold by T. Payne, at the Mews Gate; Messieurs Knapton and Horsefield, in Ludgate Street; Messieurs Dodsley, in Pall-Mall; T. Longman, in Pater-Noster Row; T. Davies, in Russel-Street, Covent-Garden; and J. Gretton, in Bond Street, MDCCLXI 
- Physical Description:
- , 82, , ii, 60,  pages, , XXV, LXXII leaves of plates : illustrations ; 49 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2016 82Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by Anthony Walker, Francis Paton, Ignace Fougeron, William Kirby, Samuel Boyce, Peter Mazell, John Ryland, James Basire, William Woollett, Charles Grignion, and Thomas Chambers; after William Hogarth, Joseph Champion, Samuel Wale, and Inigo Jones.
The second part has a separate title page, pagination and register.
The dedication is engraved.
With a final index leaf with errata on its verso.
Archer, J. British domestic architecture, 168.2
British Architectural Library. Early printed books, 1675
Harris, E. British architectural books and writers, 399
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in half calf and marbled boards. Armorial bookplate: Richard Blackett Beaumont.
BEIN JJp2 17: 4 p. of bookseller's advertisements at end.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Early works to 1800.Architecture -- Study and teaching -- Early works to 1800.Beaumont, Richard Blackett -- Bookplate.Perspective -- Early works to 1800.
- Booksellers' advertisements.
YCBA Collections Search
Kirby, John Joshua, 1716-1774, The perspective of architecture , MDCCLXI 
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.