The stud farm, or, Hints on breeding for the turf, the chase, and the road : addressed to breeders of race-horses and hunters, to landed proprietors, and especially to tenant farmers / by Cecil.
- Additional Title(s):
- Hints on breeding for the turf, the chase, and the road
London : Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1851.
London : Spottiswoodes and Shaw, New-Street Square, 
- Physical Description:
- xiii, , 202 pages,  leaf of plates : illustrations ; 18 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF291.C43 S78 1851 Copy 1View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsSF291.C43 S78 1851 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Frontispiece engraved by Edward Hacker.
With one wood engraving within the text.
Podeschi, J.B. Books on the horse and horsemanship, 185
BAC: British Art Center copy 1 bound in contemporary red three-quarter morocco and red marbled paper covered boards. Ms inscription: J.G. Grimwood.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in contemporary quarter calf and dark green cloth. Pictorial stamping of gold mare and foal on front cover. Publisher's advertisements are printed on front and rear pastedowns. Bookplate: Harry Worcester Smith.
- Subject Terms:
- Grimwood, J.G. -- Autograph.Horses -- Breeding -- Great Britain.Race horses -- Breeding -- Great Britain.Smith, Harry Worcester -- Bookplate.
- Steel engravings -- 1851.
Wood engravings -- 1851.
- I. Motives for breeding. Site of building and paddocks
- II. Selection of mares
- III. Barren and other mares
- IV. Stallions
- V. Treatment of mares in foal and with foal
- VI. Foals after weaning
- VII. Yearlings, two years old, and others
- VIII. Breaking
- IX. Physic
- X. Shoeing
- XI. Cultivation and management of land
- XII. Food, its properties and effects.