Studies in design / by Chr. Dresser, Ph.D., F.L.S.
- [London] : Cassell, Petter and Galpin, London, 
- Physical Description:
- , 40 pages, LX leaves of plates : illustrations ; 42 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2014 70Yale Center for British Art, Gift of Paul F. WalterView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Lithographs by Alfred Goater; after Christopher Dresser.
The lithographed title page is printed in blue within an ornamental border.
BAC: British Art Center copy inscribed on title page: To His Excellency Sir Harry Parks [i.e. Parkes] with the author's kind & respectful regards. Parkes served as the British envoy and minister to Japan from 1865 to 1883. Dresser travelled extensively in Japan in 1877; this visit would have a significant influence on Dresser's subsequent work. The present volume was presumably presented to Parkes during Dresser's visit and suggests a shared interest in Japanese design.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt- and black-tooled brown morocco. Includes two bookplates of the Ipswich Public Libraries. One notes: "This book was presented by A. Welford Esq. Peasenhall Hall. Suffolk. March 1942." The other notes that the volume was sold by the library on July 27, 1977. With ink stamps of the Ipswich Public Libraries throughout.
Patternbook of 60 lithographic plates (57 in color and 3 in black and white), accompanied by Dresser's brief descriptions on the facing guardsheets.
- Subject Terms:
- Decoration and ornament -- Victorian style.Decoration and ornament.Dresser, Christopher -- Presentation inscription to Sir Harry Smith Parkes.Interior decoration.Ipswich Public Libraries -- Bookplate.Parkes, Harry Smith, Sir -- Presentation inscription from Christopher Dresser.
- Pattern books.
Lithographs -- 1876.
Chromolithographs -- 1876.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.