Travels in the south of Spain : in letters written A.D. 1809 and 1810 / by William Jacob, Esq. M.P. F.R.S.
- London : Printed for J. Johnson and Co. St. Paul's Church-Yard, and W. Miller, Albermarle-Street; by John Nichols and Son, Red Lion Passage, Fleet Street, 1811.
- Physical Description:
- xiii, , 407, , 36,  p.,  leaves of plates ( folded leaves of plates) : ill., map ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDP295 .J33 1811+Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The frontispiece map/elevation of Cadiz is engraved by Benjamin Davies. The remaining plates are unsigned.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 145
Tooley, R.V. Coloured plates (1979 ed.), 279
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in green half-morocco. Armorial bookplate: Lord Rendleshem, 1810.
"The following pages contain the substance of letters written to my family and friends during six months which I passed in Spain ... In addition to what I have borrowed from Ocampo, Masdeu, and Marina, I am also indebted to a very accurate abstract of the state of the Moors in Granada, written by Simon de Argote."--Preface.
- Subject Terms:
- Engraving -- Specimens -- 1811.J. Johnson and Co. -- Publisher.John Nichols and Son -- Printer.Miller, W. -- Publisher.Rendleshem, Lord -- Bookplate.Spain -- Description and travel.Spain -- Pictorial works.
- Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1811.
- Plates: Cadiz (Map)
- La Lonja, Seville
- Inquisition, formerly Jesuits College in Seville
- Cathedral, Seville
- Roman ruins, Alacalá
- Carthusian vonvent near Xeres
- Calvario at Xeres
- Custom House, Malaga
- Cathedral, Malaga
- Alhambra in Granada
- Palace of Charles 5th, in the Alhambra Granada
- Bridge at Ronda
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.