A plurality of worlds : John Glanvill's translation / with a prologue by David Garnett.
- Additional Title(s):
Entretiens sur la pluralité des mondes. English
- [London] : The Nonesuch Press, 1929.
- Physical Description:
- ix, , 138,  pages : color illustrations ; 21 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsQB54 .F613 1929Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- At head of title: Bernard de Fontenelle.
Translation of: Entretiens sur la pluralité des mondes.
"This edition of Fontenelle's La pluralité des mondes in John Glanvill's translation of 1688 consists of 1,200 copies for sale by the Nonesuch Press, and 400 copies for sale in the United States by Random House. It has been designed by Francis Meynell, composed by T.W. Hay at the Nonesuch Press, and printed on Van Gelder paper at the Curwen Press. The colour-stencilled decorations are by T.L. Poulton; the remainder are composed of astronomical signs."--Colophon.
Dreyfus, J. History of the Nonesuch Press, 65
BEIN QB54 F651 1929: "This copy is number 73." Bookplate of Russell Cornell Leffingwell.
SML,AOB: "This copy is number 648."
BAC: British Art Center copy is 1075 of 1200. Bound in full limp vellum. In gold speckled black paper slip case.
- Subject Terms:
- Leffingwell, R. C. (Russell Cornell), 1878-1960 -- Bookplate.Plurality of worlds.Private press books -- England -- London -- Specimens.Stencil work -- Specimens -- 1929.
- Private press books (Publishing) -- England -- London.
YCBA Collections Search
Fontenelle, M. de (Bernard Le Bovier), 1657-1757, A plurality of worlds , 1929
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.