Harral, Thomas, -1853, Picturesque views of the Severn , 1824
- Picturesque views of the Severn : with historical and topographical illustrations / by Thomas Harral ; the embellishments from designs of the late Samuel Ireland ...
- Alternate Title(s):
- Picturesque views on the Severn
- London : Printed for G. and W.B. Whittaker, 1824.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. : (viii, 288 p.,  leaves of plates) : ill. ; 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.S29 H37 1822+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Lithography by Frederick Calvert; after Samuel Ireland.
Originally published in 8 parts, 1822-1823, with 6 or 7 plates per part. Parts have varying title: Picturesque views on the Severn : from its source in Montgomeryshire to its junction with the ocean at Kingroad Gloucestershire : with observations on the public buildings and other works of art in its vicinity, from drawings taken on the spot by the late Samuel Ireland.
Abbey, J.R. Scenery, 429
Includes bibliographical references and index.
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. In original parts, in printed paper wrappers. Plates accompanied by tissue guards. The whole page outside the plate washed in grey. Plate 28 in pt. 5 wrongly lettered as Village and Mill of Strousbarne instead of Llanidlos. Pt.'s 1-3 have date and imprint on front cover: London, 1822. Pt.'s 4-8 have date and imprint omitted. Back wrappers with advertising for the Picturesque views on the Severn by Mr. Harral with dates of publication for forthcoming parts: Part 2, 1 May 1823: Part 3, 1 June 1823; Part 4, 1 July 1823; part 5; 1 Aug. 1823; Part 6, 1 Sep. 1823; Part 7, 1 Oct. 1823; Part 8, 1 Nov. 1823.
- Plates: Vol. 1: Frontispiece, Source of the Severn -- Llanidloes -- View near Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire -- Llandinam -- New Town, Montgomeryshire -- Ruins of Montgomery Castle, from the Severn -- Powis Castle -- Llandrinio Bridge, with Rodney's Pillar -- Shrewsbury Castle and public school -- New Bridge and Abbey, Shrewsbury -- Welch Bridge, Shrewsbury -- St. Winifred's Pulpit, Abbey Garden, Shrewsbury -- Atchingham (or Atcham) Bridge -- The Wrekin, from Cunde Park -- Buildwas Bridge, Shropshire -- Buildwas Abbey -- Wenlock Abbey, Shropshire -- Iron Bridge near Coalbrook Dalte -- Lilleshull Abbey (first view) -- Lilleshull Abbey (second view) with the river and bridge -- Tonge Church and Castle, Shropshire -- Remains of a Cistercian convent, called White Ladies, in Shropshire -- Boscobel House, Shropshire -- Bridgnorth, in coming down the Severn -- Bridgnorth -- Remains of Bridgnorth Castle, called the Leaning Tower -- Quatford, below Bridgnorth -- Bewdley, from below the bridge -- View newar Bewdley, from Blackstone Park. and Plates: Vol. 2: Frontispiece, Vignette view of Caldecot Castle, Monmouthsire -- Stourport, from above the bridge -- Stourport, from below the bridge -- Holt Castle, on the banks of the Severn -- Worcester -- Junction of the Teme with the Severn -- Tewkesbury, from the Upper Lake -- Village of Ashelworth -- Maisemore, near Gloucester -- Gloucester, from above the bridge -- Gloucester Bridge and West Gate -- Lanthony Priory, Gloucestershire -- Lanthony Priory on the Severn, Gloucestershire -- Gloucester, from the banks of the Severn, two miles below the city -- Village of Westbury, from Broad Oak, Gloucestershire -- Newnham, Gloucestershire -- Berkeley Castle, Gloucestershire -- Berkeley Castle and Church, Gloucestershire -- Thornbury Castle, Gloucestershire -- Ditto -- Caldecot Castle, Monmouthshire -- King Road, viewed from the entrance to the Bristol Avon -- Village and Mill of Strousbarne.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Gloucestershire.Architecture, Domestic -- England -- Shropshire.G. & W.B. Whittaker -- Publisher.Hullmandel, C. -- Printer.Severn River (Wales and England) -- Description and travel.Severn River (Wales and England) -- Pictorial works.Severn River Valley (Wales and England) -- Description and travel.Severn River Valley (Wales and England) -- Pictorial works.
- Publishers' advertisements.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1824.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.