Hunter, Dard, 1883-1966, Papermaking , 1947
- Papermaking : the history and technique of an ancient craft / by Dard Hunter.
- 2nd ed., rev. and enl.
- New York : A.A. Knopf, 1947.
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 611 pages,  folded leaves of plates : illustrations, facsimiles, map ; 24 cm
- Reference LibraryTS1090 H83 1947 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Reference Library is closed until further notice. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- BEIN 2019 1678: Dust jacket. "Reprinted May 1957."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Before paper : the writing substances of the ancients -- Ts'ai Lun and the invention of paper : the influence of calligraphy upon paper and the influence of paper upon printing -- Empress Shōtoku and her million printed prayers : the first text printing upon paper to be executed in the world -- The hand-mould : the papermakers' most essential tool, upon which rest the two thousand years of papermaking history -- The maceration of materials for papermaking : from the primitive mortar and pestle of ancient China to the improved Hollander of Europe -- Early papermaking processes and methods -- Paper : a sacred material--the use of paper in the Orient for ceremonies and purposes unknown in the Western world -- The paper and the papermakers of Europe and America during the early years of printing -- Ancient watermarks : six and a half centuries of mystic symbols -- Latter-day watermarks : the nineteenth-century development of watermarks into an artistic and technical achievement -- Papermaking materials : with the eighteenth-century development of printing, Occidental papermakers were forced to begin their search for vegetable fibres never before used -- The paper-machine and its inventor, Nicholas-Louis Robert : the paper-machine revolutionizes printing -- Printing revolutionizes papermaking, and the world-wide quest for new papermaking fibres begin in earnest -- The watermarking of machine-made papers and the use of watermarks in detection of forgery -- Present-day papermaking by hand in Europe -- Handmade papers vs. machine-made papers : paper made by the ancient traditional methods still has a limited use, but the paper-machine has altered every phase of life -- Chronology of papermaking, paper, and the use of paper.
- Subject Terms:
- Papermaking -- History.Papermaking.Watermarks.Watermarks.