Hunter, Dard, 1883-1966, Papermaking , 1947
Papermaking : the history and technique of an ancient craft / by Dard Hunter.
- 2nd ed., rev. and enl.
- New York : A.A. Knopf, 1947.
- Physical Description:
- xxiv, 611 pages,  folded leaves of plates : illustrations, facsimiles, map ; 24 cm
- Reference LibraryTS1090 H83 1947 (LC)Accessible in the Reference Library [Hours]
Note: The Reference Library is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Reference Library page on our website for more details. For scans from the reference collection please email email@example.com.
- BEIN 2019 1678: Dust jacket. "Reprinted May 1957."
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Subject Terms:
- Papermaking -- History.Papermaking.Watermarks.Watermarks.
- Before paper : the writing substances of the ancients
- Ts'ai Lun and the invention of paper : the influence of calligraphy upon paper and the influence of paper upon printing
- Empress Shōtoku and her million printed prayers : the first text printing upon paper to be executed in the world
- The hand-mould : the papermakers' most essential tool, upon which rest the two thousand years of papermaking history
- The maceration of materials for papermaking : from the primitive mortar and pestle of ancient China to the improved Hollander of Europe
- Early papermaking processes and methods
- Paper : a sacred material--the use of paper in the Orient for ceremonies and purposes unknown in the Western world
- The paper and the papermakers of Europe and America during the early years of printing
- Ancient watermarks : six and a half centuries of mystic symbols
- Latter-day watermarks : the nineteenth-century development of watermarks into an artistic and technical achievement
- Papermaking materials : with the eighteenth-century development of printing, Occidental papermakers were forced to begin their search for vegetable fibres never before used
- The paper-machine and its inventor, Nicholas-Louis Robert : the paper-machine revolutionizes printing
- Printing revolutionizes papermaking, and the world-wide quest for new papermaking fibres begin in earnest
- The watermarking of machine-made papers and the use of watermarks in detection of forgery
- Present-day papermaking by hand in Europe
- Handmade papers vs. machine-made papers : paper made by the ancient traditional methods still has a limited use, but the paper-machine has altered every phase of life
- Chronology of papermaking, paper, and the use of paper.