Museum Disneianum , 1846-1849
- Museum Disneianum : being a description of a collection of ancient marbles, specimens of ancient bronze, and various ancient fictile vases, in the possession of John Disney, at the Hyde, near Ingatestone ; with engravings.
- London : Published by J. Rodwell, 46, New Bond Street. Printed by G. Woodfall and son, 1846-1849.
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes (xv, , 281 pages) : illustrations ; 35 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN5335.D57 A3 1846+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Paul F. WalterAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Lithographs by and after James Astbury Hammersley and by Filippo Pistrucci. Some printed by Hullmandel & Walton. Engraving by George Measom.
Volume 3 has imprint: London : Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans. 1849.
The Disney collection was largely formed by Thomas Hollis and Thomas Brand in Italy from 1748-1753, with later addtions by John Disney.
The translations of the Latin inscriptions are by James Tate.
Some of the lithographs in the third part are printed in multiple tints.
Holmes, M. Country house described, p. 143
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in one volume, in contemporary half calf with marbled boards.
- Pt. I. Ancient marbles. London : Rodwell, 1846 -- Pt. II. Specimens of ancient art. London : Rodwell, 1848 -- Pt III. Ancient fictile vases. London : Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1849.
- Subject Terms:
- Art -- Private collections.Bronzes -- Private collections.Classical antiquiies.Disney, John, 1746-1816 -- Art collections.Sculpture -- Private collections.The Hyde (Essex, England)Vases -- Private collections.
- Lithographs -- 1846-1849.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1846-1849.
Wood engravings -- 1846-1849.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.