The Indian empire : its history, topography, geology, climate, population, chief cities and provinces; tributary and protected states; military power and resources; religion, education, crime; land tenures; staple products; government, finance, and commerce : with a full account of the mutiny of the Bengal army; of the insurrection in western India; and an exposition of the alleged causes / by R. Montgomery Martin.
- Additional Title(s):
Volume 1 & 2 added title-page title : History of the Indian empire
Volume 3 added title-page title: Indian empire illustrated
- London ; New York : London Printing and Publishing Company, -
- Physical Description:
- 3 volumes : illustrations, frontispieces, 2 folded maps, plates, portraits ; 29 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS436 .M35 1858+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Gift of Frank de Caro and Rosan Augusta JordanAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Added title-pages, engraved.
Vol. 3 consists of plates "with letterpress descriptions by Miss Emily Roberts."
Apparently originally issued in eight "divisions"; title pages and index are bound at end of division 8.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in original "divisions." Imperfect: lacks divisions II, VI, and VIII. Bound in blind- and gilt-stamped orange cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- India -- Description and travel.India -- History.
- Steel engravings -- 1858-1861.
- vol. I. History, topography, population, government, finance, commerce, and staple products
- vol. II. The Mutiny of the Bengal army; insurrection in western India; and an exposition of the alleged causes
- vol. III. India delineated, in a series of engraving exhibiting the scenery of the Himalaya Mountains, and views of the principal place in India; with letterpress descriptions, by Miss Emily Roberts.