IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.
Abbott, Jacob, 1803-1879, History of King Alfred of England , [1849?]
History of King Alfred of England / by Jacob Abbott ; with engravings.
- Additional Title(s):
Added lithographed title page reads: History of Alfred the Great
- New York : Harper & Brothers, publishers, 82 Cliff Street, [1849?]
- Physical Description:
- , 14-270, , 10, 4, 5,  pages : illustrations ; 18 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA153 .A23 1849Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Date of publication from Harper & Brothers' copyright on verso of title page.
First three leaves (p. [1-6]) blank.
In red cloth; series title on spine.
Wood engravings signed by Samuel Wallin and William Roberts.
Added chromolithographed title page signed by Thomas Sinclair.
Publisher's advertisements: 6, 10,  p. at end.
Weber, C.J. Jacob Abbott, p. 102
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's original blind-stamped red cloth.
- Subject Terms:
- Alfred, King of England, 849-899 -- Juvenile literature.Anglo-Saxons -- Kings and rulers -- Biography -- Juvenile literature.Great Britain -- History -- Alfred, 871-899 -- Juvenile literature.
Color printing (Printing) -- Plates.
Wood engravings -- 1849.
Publishers' cloth bindings (Binding) -- United States -- 1849.
- The Britons
- The Anglo-Saxons
- The Danes
- Alfred's early years
- The state of England
- Alfred's accession to the throne
- The seclusion
- Reassembling of the army
- The victory over the Danes
- The reign
- The close of life.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.