Sala, George Augustus, 1828-1895, Notes and sketches of the Paris exhibition , 1868
- Notes and sketches of the Paris exhibition / by George Augustus Sala, author of "My diary in America in the midst of war," etc.
- London : Tinsley Brothers, 18, Catherine Street, Strand, 1868.
- Physical Description:
- 396 p. ; 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsT801.B1 S25 1868Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Printed by William Clowes and Sons, Stamford Street and Charing Cross, London.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in publisher's green cloth. Blind stamp: W.H. Smith & Son Library 186 Strand.
- Preface -- Definitions -- Landmarks -- Transformation scene -- The opening day of the exhibition -- The fine arts -- The terra cottas of Leopold Harzé -- M. Frémiet's statuettes -- British sculpture -- Illuminations -- Lay figures -- Dolls and toys -- Pottery -- Glass -- Jewellery and goldsmiths' ware -- Bronze -- Elkington's ware -- Carpets and tapestry -- The grand prix -- Distribution of prizes -- English newspapers in the exhibition -- Fancy goods -- Furniture -- English workmen in the exhibition -- The emperor of the Blackings -- American restaurant -- Burglar-proof safes.
- Subject Terms:
- Art objects -- 19th century -- Exhibitions.Decorative arts -- 19th century.Exposition universelle de 1867 à Paris.Great Britain -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Tinsley Brothers -- Publisher.W.H. Smith & Son Library -- Stamp.William Clowes and Sons -- Printer.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.