The antiquities of Athens : measured and delineated / by James Stuart and Nicholas Revett, painters and architects.
- London : Printed by J. Haberkorn, 1762-1830.
- Physical Description:
- 5 volumes : illustrations (some folded), maps (some folded), plans, plates, portraits ; 57 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsIn Process Folio B 2015 14Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engraved title vignettes, head and tail pieces, ports. of authors (Stuart, vol. 2; Revett, vol. 4).
Editors varies. Vol. 2 edited by William Newton; vol. 3 by Willey Reveley; vol. 4 by Joseph Woods.
Imprint varies. Vols. 2-3 printed by J. Nichols in 1787 and in 1794; vol. 4 printed by T. Bensley, for J. Taylor in 1816; vol. 5 printed by Priestly and Weale in 1830.
Vol.  has title: Antiquities of Athens and other places in Greece Sicily etc. Supplementary to the Antiquities of Athens by James Stuart ... and Nicholas Revett, delineated and illustrated by C. R. Cockerell ... W. Kinnard, T. L. Donaldson, W. Jenkins, W. Railton, architects. London, Priestley and Weale, 1830.
Plate XXIX, ch. 2, v. 2 was never published. Cf. the introduction to that volume, and the directions to the binder at the end of v. 4.
Substantial sections of v. 1 and 3 were reprinted, with the type reset, using paper with countermarks reading J Whatman 1808. They are: (v. 1) t.p.; dedic.; p. i-x, 1-4, 9-12, 15-end; and errata leaf; (v. 3) preface; p. xxi-[xxvi]; and errata leaf. The v. 1 errata may not have a corresponding original printing; the other reprintings do.
The following parts of v. 1 and 2 are known in two settings of type, neither of which use 1808 paper: (v. 1) dedication, and list of subscribers; (v. 2) t.p.
An additional variant has been found in v. 4. In some copies, p. 3 of the preface is signed; in others, it is unsigned. HRC copies 1, 4 signed; copy 3 unsigned.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in contemporary olive quarter calf and marbled boards.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture -- Greece -- Athens.Architecture -- Greece.Athens (Greece) -- Antiquities.Athens (Greece) -- Buildings, structures, etc.Greece -- Antiquities.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.