Dixon, C. G. (Charles George), Sketch of Mairwara , 1850
- Sketch of Mairwara : giving a brief account of the origin and habits of the Mairs, their subjugation by a British force, their civilisation, and conversiopn into an industrious peasantry : with descriptions of various works of irrigation in Mairwara and Ajmeer ... : illustrated with maps, plans, and views / by Lieutenant-Colonel C.J. [i.e. C.G.] Dixon.
- London : Smith, Elder and Co., 1850.
- Physical Description:
- vi, , 241,  p.,  leaves of plates ( folded) : ill., maps, plans ; 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDS485.M3 D59 1850+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Tinted lithographs by William Gauci, B. George, and T.C. Dibdin; after Lieut. C. Herbert and Lieut. F.J. Burgess.
Also includes wood-engraved illustrations within the text, by Smith & Cheltnam.
Printed by Spottiswoodes & Shaw, New-street-Square.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 475
BAC: British Art Center copy is the Abbey copy. Bound in publisher's blind-tooled green cloth, with title stamped in gilt on front cover. Ink stamp: Earl of Ellenborough's Heirlooms, book no. 1208. With an ALS from the author to the Earl of Ellenborough, Ajmeer, 6 March 1849, affixed to the front free endpaper with two wax seals. Binder's label: Bound by Westleys & Co., Friar Street, London.
- Subject Terms:
- Ellenborough, Earl -- Stamp.India -- History -- British occupation, 1765-1947.Irrigation -- India -- History.Mairwara (India) -- Description and travel.Mairwara (India) -- Social life and customs -- 19th century.Smith, Elder and co. -- Publisher.Spottiswoodes & Shaw -- Printer.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1850.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.