Borlase, William, 1695-1772, Antiquities, historical and monumental, of the county of Cornwall , MDCCLXIX 
- Antiquities, historical and monumental, of the county of Cornwall : consisting of several essays on the first inhabitants, druid-superstition, customs, and remains of the most remote antiquity in Britain, and the British Isles, exemplified and proved by monuments now extant in Cornwall and the Scilly Islands, with a vocabulary of the Cornu-British language / By William Borlase, LL.D. F.R.S., Rector of Ludgvan, Cornwall.
- The second edtion / revised, with several additions by the author; to which is added a map of Cornwall and two new plates.
- London : Printed by W. Bowyer and J. Nichols: For S. Baker and G. Leigh, in York Street; T. Payne, at the Mews Gate, St. Martin's; and Benjamin White, at Horace's Head, in Fleet Street, MDCCLXIX 
- Physical Description:
- xvi, 464 p., 37 leaves of plates (2 folded) : ill. ; 37 x 24 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.C8 B67 1769+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by John Green and Benjamin Green; after William Borlase.
First edition appeared in 1754, under title: Observations on the antiquities ... of Cornwall.
P. 368 erroneously numbered 386.
ESTC (RLIN), T139784
Catalogue of the Kings of Britain, with the Princes of Cornwall ...: p. 404-411.
Cornish-English vocabulary: p. 415-464.
Includes bibliographical references.
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gilt-tooled red morocco, with gilt edges.
- Subject Terms:
- Baker, S. -- PublisherBowyer, W. -- PrinterCornish language -- Glossaries, vocabularies, etc. -- Early works to 1800.Cornwall (England : County) -- Antiquities -- Early works to 1800.Cornwall (England : County) -- History -- Early works to 1800.Druids and Druidism -- Early works to 1800.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1769Leigh, G. -- PublisherNichols, J. -- PrinterPayne, T. -- PublisherWhite, Benjamin -- Publisher
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.