The analysis of beauty : written with a view of fixing the fluctuating ideas of taste / by William Hogarth.
- London : Printed by J. Reeves for the author and sold by him at his house in Leicester-Fields, 1753.
- Physical Description:
- xxii, , 153,  p.,  folded leaves of plates : ill. ; 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsN70 .H7 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsN70 .H7 Copy 2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings on linen by Hogarth.
With a wood-engraved vignette on the title page.
"Prints publish'd by W. Hogarth, and are to be had at his House in Leicester Fields."-- p. at end.
For a discussion of the issues of the plates, see the edition of this book prepared by Joseph Burke (Oxford, 1955), the facsimile edition with an introduction by Richard Woodfield (London, 1974), and Ronald Paulson's Hogarth's graphic works. Rev. ed. (New Haven, 1970).
Signatures: A-B⁴ a-b⁴ ¹B-U⁴ X². The single leaf following b4 may be X3 (X4 being blank?)--Cf. Stanley E. Read. Some observations on William Hogarth's Analysis of beauty, The Huntington Library quarterly, vol. V, 1941-42, p. 364.
English short title catalogue, T2690
With a final leaf containing "Figures referr'd to in the book.".
BAC : British Art Center copy 1 has bound with it: Kirby, J.J. Dr. Brook Taylor's method of perspective made easy. The 2d ed. Ipswich, l755. Copy 2 is bound in half calf with marbled boards.
BAC: British Art Center copy 2 bound in half calf with marbled boards. The letterpress pages appear to be those of the original 1753 edition; the plates have been reengraved, with imprint "Printed for Samuel Bagster, in the Strand, 1810." Plates are mounted on linen.
- Subject Terms:
- Aesthetics -- Early works to 1800.Art -- Theories -- Early works to 1800.Beauty -- Early works to 1800.Greenberg, Richard -- Ownership.Reeves, J. -- Printer.
- Wood engravings -- 1753.
Engravings -- 1753.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.