Anecdotes of painting in England; with some account of the principal artists; and incidental notes on other arts; collected by the late Mr. George Vertue; and digested and published from his original Mss. by Mr. Horace Walpole ...
- Strawberry-Hill, Printed by Thomas Farmer, 1762-1771 [i.e. 1780]
- Physical Description:
- 5 v. front. ports. 23 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND461 W2Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- BEIN 1987 243: Without the "Additional lives." Bookplate of Frederick Whiley Hilles. Autograph of John Spottiswoode.
BEIN 1998 1254: Imperfect: wanting v. 3-4; Hans Holbein plate wanting from v. 1. Without the "Additional lives." Without "Catalogue of engravers." Bookplate of Frederick Whiley Hilles.
BEIN 2002 513: Binding variant: "Catalogue of engravers" bound before t.p. in v. 5.
Vols. 1 and 2 printed by Thomas Farmer; vol. 4 printed by Thomas Kirgate.
The advertisement at the beginning of v. 4 is dated October 1. 1780.
"Additional lives" in vols. 2-3.
A continuation was issued as "A catalogue of engravers" 1763.
ESTC (RLIN) T71274
British Art Center copy 1 bound by Edwards of Halifax (i.e. James Edwards) in gilt-tooled vellum, with a large oval monochrome portrait in the center of each cover, painted in watercolor on the underside of the vellum and framed by a repeated gilt tool. The portraits on the covers -- all based upon engraved portraits within the published work are: v. 1, upper: Holbein -- v. 1, lower: Isaac Oliver -- v. 2 upper: Van Dyck -- v. 2, lower: Rubens -- v. 3, upper: Lely -- v. 3, lower: Kneller -- v. 4, upper: Hogarth -- v. 4, lower: Worlidge -- v. 5, upper: Evelyn -- v. 5, lower: Vertue.
- Subject Terms:
- Edwards of Halifax -- Bookbinder.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1762-71.Etching -- Specimens -- 1762-71.Farmer, Thomas -- Printer.Hilles, Frederick Whiley, 1900- -- Bookplate.Hilles, Frederick Whiley, 1900- -- Bookplate.Kirgate, Thomas, 1734-1810 -- Printer.Painters -- England.Painting -- England -- History.Smyth, John, 1748-1811 -- Bookplate.Spottiswoode, John -- Autograph.Strawberry Hill Press -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797, Anecdotes of painting in England;, 1762-1771 [i.e. 1780]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.