Virgil. Bucolica, An English version of the Eclogues of Virgil, 1883
An English version of the Eclogues of Virgil. By Samuel Palmer. With illustrations by the author.
- London, Seeley & Company, 1883.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 102 p. 14 plates. 33 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPA6807 B7 P3 1883b+ OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- But for the 1883 date of publication, this copy corresponds to the 2d (small paper) edition which was published in 1884 with lettering on the plates.
Title in red and black.
Editor's preface signed: A. H. Palmer.
Of the etchings which illustrate each eclogue, only one was fully etched by the translator; the others, left in an incomplete state at his death, were finished by his son (the editor of this work) with the aid of "a series of touched proofs with memoranda intended by him for his own use in completing the etchings."--Cf. Preface.
"[The translator] did not claim for this work any merit as a literal or even as a free translation. I have called it a 'paraphrase', but perhaps more correctly, it has been compared in musical phrase to "a meditation upon Virgil's air."--Cf. Preface.
"Printed by Strangeways and Sons".
"Some observations on the country and on rural poetry": p.-14.
- Subject Terms:
- Etching -- Specimens -- 1883.Seeley & Company -- Publisher.Strangeways and Sons -- Printer.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.