A catalogue of engravers, who have been born or resided in England / digested by Mr. Horace Walpole from the mss. of Mr. George Vertue ; to which is added an account of the life and works of the latter.
- The second edition.
- [Twickenham] : Strawberry-Hill, 1765.
- Physical Description:
- , 140, 14, 20,  pages,  unnumbered leaves of plates : portraits ; 24 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 83View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Intended as volume 5 of Walpole's Anecdotes of painting; volume 4 was not published until 1771.
Portraits engraved by Alexander Bannerman and Thomas Chambars; after Anthony Van Dyck, William Faithorne, and Jonathan Richardson.
The life of Mr. George Vertue and List of Vertue's works are separately paginated.
Hazen, A.T. Bibliography of the Strawberry Hill Press, 10
English short title catalogue, T63187
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: one preliminary leaf and several portraits wanting. Part of James Winter Lake's extra-illustrated copy of Walpole's Anecdoes of painting, which is catalogued separately (Folio A N 82). Leaves of text inlaid to size. Lake notes at front "It is proposed in this book to introduce one or more specimens of the performances of each engraver, as near as can be. James Winter Lake, 1779". Includes annotations by Lake throughout. With this is bound (as part of the extra-illustration): Le Blon, J.C. Coloritto. London, 1725 (catalogued separately). With the armorial bookplate of Baron Charles Kinnaird Kinnarid. Bound in contemporary gilt-tooled diced calf; rebacked.
SMLAOB NE628 .W2 1765 (LC): Imperfect: Frontispiece wanting.
SMLAOB NE628 .W2 1765 (LC): Bookplates of Henry C. Compton Esq., John Hill Morgan, and Frederick Winslow.
- Subject Terms:
- Compton, Henry C. -- Bookplate.Engravers -- England.Kinnaird, Charles Kinnaird, Baron, 1780-1826 -- Bookplate.Lake, James Winter, Sir, Bart., d. 1807 -- Autograph, 1779.Morgan, John Hill, 1870-1945 -- Bookplate.Vertue, George, 1684-1756.Winslow, Frederick -- Bookplate.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1765.
Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Walpole, Horace, 1717-1797, A catalogue of engravers, who have been born or resided in England , 1765
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.