Valentine, L. (Laura), d. 1899, The nobility of life, its graces and virtues,, 1869
- The nobility of life, its graces and virtues, portrayed in prose and verse by the best writers. Selected and edited by L. Valentine. With twenty-four original pictures printed in colours, elaborate borders, headings and vignettes.
- London, Frederick Warne and Company; 1869.
New York, Scribner, Welford, and Co., 1869.
- Physical Description:
- 2 p. ., iii-viii, 192 p. ill. (part. mounted and col.) 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR1111.C6 V3 1869 Copy 1Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR1111.C6 V3 1869 Copy 2Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- "Dalziel Brothers, printers."
Colored illustrations engraved and printed variously by Edmund Evans or Kronheim & Co.
Illustrations, ornamental borders, and border vignettes designed by John Dawson Watson, P. Hundley, Henry Le Jeune, Charles Green, Josef Wolf, Francis Walker, A. B. (Arthur Boyd) Houghton, H. C. (Henry Courteney) Selous, Edwin Buckman, Edward Duncan, J. A. Pasquier, E. J. (Edward John) Poynter, Thomas Dalziel, J. Mahoney, Alfred Thompson, M. Ellen (Mary Ellen) Edwards, Henry Warren, Frederick Skill, Alfred W. Cooper, H. French, Edward Henry. Wehnert, Thomas D. Scott, Thomas W. Wood, and Johann Baptist Zwecker.
Friedman, J. Color printing in England, 1486-1870, 71
Selected exhibitions: "Color Printing in England, 1486-1870" (Yale Center for British Art, 20 April-25 June, 1978).
BAC: British Art Center has two copies, in variant bindings. Copy 1 has the bookplate of T.B. Johnston. Copy 2 has publisher's advertisements,  p. at end, and the autograph of Hannah Cooper.
BAC: British Art Center has progressive color sheets for two of the prints ("Duty" and "Dignity"; Folio A/N/141).
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Burn & Co. -- Bookbinder.Conduct of life -- Literary collections.Cooper, Hannah -- Autograph, 1868.Dalziel Brothers -- Printer.Evans, Edmund -- Printer.Johnston, T.B. -- Bookplate.Kronheim & Co. -- Printer.Warne (Frederick) and Company -- Publisher.
- Chromoxylographs -- 1869.
Wood engravings -- 1869.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.