Encyclopædia britannica; or, A dictionary of arts, sciences, &c. on a plan entirely new: by which, the different sciences and arts are digested into the form of distinct treatises or systems, comprehending the history, theory, and practice, of each, according to the latest discoveries and improvements; and full explanations given of the various detached parts of knowledge, whether relating to natural and artificial objects, or to matters ecclesiastical, civil, military, commercial, &c. Together with a description of all the countries, cities ... a general history, ancient and modern, of the different empires, kingdoms and states; and an account of the lives of the most eminent persons in every nation, from the earliest ages down to the present times ...
- The 2d ed.; greatly improved and enl. Illustrated with above two hundred copper plates ...
- Edinburgh, Printed for J. Balfour and Co. [etc.] 1778-1783.
- Physical Description:
- 10 v. fold. plates, fold. maps, fold. tables, fold. diagrs. (1 col.) 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsAE5 E363 1778+ OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Plates by A. Bell.
- Subject Terms:
- Balfour (J.) and Co. -- Publisher.Encyclopedias and dictionaries.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1778-1783.R., J. -- Provenance.
YCBA Collections Search
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.