The British gallery of pictures, selected from the most admired productions of the old masters, in Great Britain; accompanied with descriptions, historical and critical. By the late Henry Tresham ... and William Young Ottley ... the executive part under the management of Peltro William Tomkins ...
- London, Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown, Cadell and Davies, and P. W. Tomkins, 1818 [i. e. 1820]
- Physical Description:
- 6 p. ., [iii]-viii,  p. 25 mounted col. plates. 59 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N37View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- The legends to the plates are mounted on the versos of the plates and are dated 1808-1820. One legend, probably dated 1807, is wanting.
Collation includes 2 leaves of notices to the subscribers (dated 1810 and 1811) and a 6 page prospectus, all of which are bound at the beginning of the volume.
"Printed by Bensley and Son."
Plates engraved by Thomas Cheesman, M. A. Bourlier, P. W. Tomkins, Freeman, A. Cardon, R. Woodman, J. H. Wright, J. S. Agar, Robert Cooper, Schiavonetti, E. Scriven, T. Medland, John Bailey, William Bond, and John Scott, after drawings by Satchwell, W. W. Hodgson, P. Violet, W. M. Craig, T. Unwins, L. Eusebi, W. Westall, and T. W. Strutt, based on paintings by Claudio Lorenese, Rubens, and other old masters.
Abbey, Life in England, 209 (Abbey copy).
Friedman, J. Color printing in England, 1486-1870, 29
Selected exhibitions: "Color Printing in England, 1486-1870" (Yale Center for British Art, 20 April-25 June, 1978).
- Subject Terms:
- Bensley and Son -- Printer.Cadell & Davies -- Publisher.Engraving, colored -- Specimens -- 1818.Longman, Hurst, Rees, Orme, and Brown -- Publisher.Painting -- Private collections.Stipple engraving, colored -- Specimens -- 1818.Tomkins, P. W. -- Publisher.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1818.
YCBA Collections Search
Tresham, Henry, 1749?-1814, The British gallery of pictures,, 1818 [i. e. 1820]