Brackenbury, George, The seat of war in the East, 1855-1856
- The seat of war in the East by William Simpson ...
- London, Paul & Dominic Colnaghi & Co., 1855-1856.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. 81 col. plates. 57 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D14Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- T.-p.'s included in number of plates.
Text by George Brackenbury--Cf. Abbey, Travel, 237.
Most plates have illustrated guard sheets with descriptive letterpress.
Plates lithographed by E. Walker, J. Needham, W. Walton, R. Carrick, E. Morin, Charles Haghe, T. Picken, J. A. Vinter, T. G. Dutton, R. M. Bryson and F. Jones, after William Simpson.
Published also under title: The campaign in the Crimea.
Plates printed by Day & Son.
British Art Center has 3 copies. Copy 1 has the bookplate of L. C. Berger. In copies 1 and 2, the plates have added hand coloring. Copy 2, which may be a different issue, is lacking the descriptive text to v. 1. Copy 2 has a list of plates to v. 1 on the verso of the dedicatory leaf; in v. 2 a list of plates appears on a separate leaf. Copy 2 has the bookplate of Thomas Gaisford. Copy 3 is in 1 volume with the text bound at the back.
Abbey, Travel, 237 (copy 2: Abbey copy).
Friedman, J. Color printing in England, 1486-1870, 136
Selected exhibitions: "Color Printing in England, 1486-1870" (Yale Center for British Art, 20 April-25 June, 1978).
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Berger, L. C. -- Bookplate.Colnaghi (Paul & Dominic) & Co. -- Publisher.Day & Son -- Printer.Gaisford, Thomas, 1779-1855 -- Bookplate.
- Lithotints -- Hand-colored -- 1855-1856.
Lithographs -- 1855-1856.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.