Book of nonsense ...
- [London, T. McLean, 1856]
- Physical Description:
- 73 leaves. ill. 14 x 21 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPN6110 N6 L4 1856View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title-page and printed cover cropped at bottom, eliminating imprint. Probably a variant of the 2d ed. published in London in 1856 by Thomas McLean.
The verses accompanying the illustrations of "There was an old man of the West, who wore a pale plum-coloured vest" and "There was an old man of the West, who never could get any rest" have been reversed; other variants as cited by W. B. O. Field in Edward Lear on my shelves, 1933, p. 131-132.
On several leaves the text has been retouched on the lithographic stone.
Printed cover bound in at front with title: A book of nonsense. By Derry Down Derry ... ; the word "To" is printed in black to the right of the first line of the title.
Illustrations by the author.
- Subject Terms:
- McLean, T. -- Publisher.Nonsense verses, English.
- Lithotints -- 1846.
Lithographs -- 1846.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.