Flaxman, John, 1755-1826, Compositions from the Tragedies of Aeschylus , 
Compositions from the Tragedies of Aeschylus / designed by John Flaxman ; engraved by Thomas Piroli, and Frank Howard.
- London : Publish'd April 15th, 1831, by Miss Flaxman and Miss Maria Denman, 74 Upper Norton Street, Fitzroy Square, 
- Physical Description:
- 36 : all illustrations (etchings) ; 28 x 44 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A N 26View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Etched throughout, including title leaf.
Plate 2 has added title, with variant statement of responsibility: "Designed by Iohn Flaxman. Engraved by Thomas Piroli."
"The publication is simply a reprint of the English 1795 plates, with the inscriptions altered and five new plates added."--Bentley.
Plates nos. 1-3, 5-9, 11, 13-22 and 24-26 are unsigned (engraved by Piroli?), nos. 4, 10, 12 and 23 are signed "F. Howard sculpt." Most of the plates have a verse at the bottom of the engraving. Nos. 3-36 have the publishing legend: London, Published April 15th, 1831, by M. Flaxman and M. Denman, 74 Upper Norton St., Fitzroy Square.
Bentley, G.E. Early engravings of Flaxman's classical designs, page 45, no. 7
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in gold- and blind-stamped green morocco.
- Subject Terms:
- Aeschylus -- Illustrations.Mythology, Greek -- Art.
- Etchings -- 1831.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.