Ornamental groups, descriptive of flowers, birds, shells, fruit, insects, &c. and illustrative of a new theory of colouring, from designs and paintings by M. Gartside. The whole engraved and coloured under her immediate inspection ...
- London, William Miller, 1808 [-1811]
- Physical Description:
- 2 p. ., 44 p. 18 plates (part mounted; part col.) 57 x 44 cm. (in case 62 x 46 cm.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B N 19Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Some plates by W. J. Bennett, or R. & D. Havell; after the author.
Some plates published by the author or T. Gardiner; a few plates dated 1811.
Text printed by W. Bulmer and Co.
British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1, which has the pencilled note "Mrs. Brook", is in 4 parts, and has 3 extra plates inserted: 2 before the t.-p., and 1 following the plate which faces p. 29. Laid in copy 1 is "Errata in the list of subscribers." Copy 2, which has the bookplate of Cobbold, has 1 plate misbound. The plate which faces p. 31 is different in the 2 copies.
Abbey, Life in England, 128 (copy 2: Abbey copy).
- Subject Terms:
- Brook, Mrs. -- Provenance.Bulmer (W.) and Co. -- Printer.Cobbold -- Bookplate.Color.Composition (Art)Gardiner, T. -- Publisher.Gartside, M. -- Publisher.Miller, William -- Publisher.Still-life painting -- Technique.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1808-1811.
Soft-ground etchings -- Hand-colored -- 1808-1811.
YCBA Collections Search
Gartside, Mary, Ornamental groups, descriptive of flowers, birds, shells, fruit, insects, &c. and illustrative of a new theory of colouring,, 1808 [-1811]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.