Observations on modern gardening, and laying out pleasure-grounds, parks, farms, ridings, &c. Illustrated by descriptions. To which is added, an essay on the different natural situations of gardens.
- A new edition: with notes by Horace (late) Earl of Orford; and ornamented with plates, chiefly designed by Mr. Wollet ...
- London, Printed for West and Hughes, 1801.
- Physical Description:
- viii, 155 p. col. front., 5 col. plates. 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsSB471 .W55 1801+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Walpole's notes are taken from his Essay on modern gardening.
Plates engraved by Le Couer, J. Walker, and Willm. Wise; after W. Woollett.
"Printed by W. Blackader."
Abbey, Scenery, 389 (copy 1: Abbey copy).
British Art Center has 3 copies. Copy 3 has the bookplates of Joshua Smith, Richard Blackett Beaumont, and George T. Ramsden; and the stamp and autograph of George Ludlow. Copies 1 and 2 are imperfect: their half-titles are wanting.
- Subject Terms:
- Beaumont, Richard Blackett, b.1926 -- Bookplate.Blackader, W. -- Printer.Engraving, colored -- Specimens -- 1801.Landscape gardening.Ludlow, George -- Autograph.Ramsden, George Taylor, 1879-1936 -- Bookplate.Smith, Joshua, 1735-1819 -- Bookplate.West and Hughes -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Whately, Thomas, d. 1772, Observations on modern gardening,, 1801
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.