The English spy: an original work, characteristic, satirical, and humorous. Comprising scenes and sketches in every rank of society, being portraits of the illustrious, eminent, eccentric, and notorious. Drawn from the life by Bernard Blackmantle. The illustrations designed by Robert Cruikshank ...
- London, Sherwood, Jones, and Co., 1825-1826.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v. col. front., ill., col. plates. 27 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR5779 W2 E5View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Title vignette; head- and tail-pieces.
Published in numbers and continued as the St. James's royal magazine and gazette of fashion, literature, and the fine arts, etc.
"Printed by Thomas Davison."
Volume 2 published by Sherwood, Gilbert, and Piper.
Plates by Robert Cruikshank after G. M. Brighty, T. Rowlandson, and T. Wageman.
Illustrations by G. B., George Bonner, Lee, I. T., Gillray, Thompson, and March; some after R. C. and Robert Cruikshank.
Fairman, Elisabeth R. Pleasures and pastimes, 282
Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 325
BAC: British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 2 is the Abbey copy. In copy 1, the plate which should face page 16, vol. 2 has been bound in as a frontispiece to vol. 2. Copy 1 is in original boards; with advertisements on p.  of covers. Advertisements ( p.) are also bound in at the end of vol. 1 of copy 1. Copy 2 bound by Zaehnsdorf.
- Subject Terms:
- Davison, Thomas -- Printer.England -- Social life and customs.Satire, English.Sherwood, Gilbert, and Piper -- Publisher.Sherwood, Jones, and Co. -- Publisher.Zaehnsdorf (Firm) -- Bookbinder.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1825-1826.
Wood engravings -- 1825-1826.
YCBA Collections Search
Westmacott, C. M. (Charles Molloy), 1787 or 1788-1868, The English spy: an original work, characteristic, satirical, and humorous, 1825-1826