Imitations of original drawings by Hans Holbein, in the collection of His Majesty, for the portraits of illustrious persons of the court of Henry VIII. With biographical tracts. Published by John Chamberlaine ...
- London, Printed by W. Bulmer and Co., 1792 [i. e. 1792-1800]
- Physical Description:
- XIII parts. col. ports. (part mounted) 55 cm. (60 cm., in case)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio B N 21Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- The plates are stipple engravings, printed in colors, and with the exception of four are by F. Bartolozzi; three were engraved by C. Metz, and one by C. Knight.
Plates dated 1792-1800.
Biographical notices by Edmund Lodge.
British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 is in XIII parts in original wrappers with labels entitled: Portraits from the original drawings of Hans Holbein; these labels have additional imprints of G. Nicol and G. and W. Nicol. In copy 1, part X, an errata slip is attached to the biographical notice of Sir Nicholas Poins. In copy 1, part XII, 2 identical notices to subscribers have been inserted. Copy 1 is shelved in a contemporary case. Copy 2 is in 2 v. bound by J. Wright. In copy 2 the plates appear in both a colored and an uncolored state. Copy 2 has 8 additional color plates by Bartolozzi, after Holbein, of personages from the court of Francis II, accompanied by  p. of letterpress. According to Abbey, Life in England, 206, these plates, which were intended as a continuation of Chamberlaine's Imitations, were probably not issued to the public until the stock was later acquired by Messrs. Bohn, who added them as a supplement to copies of the earlier work. Copy 2 has a list of plates and a notice dated 18
Abbey, Life in England, 205, 206 (copy 2: Abbey copy).
Friedman, J. Color printing in England, 1486-1870, 16 A-C
Selected exhibitions: "Color Printing in England, 1486-1870" (Yale Center for British Art, 20 April-25 June, 1978).
- Subject Terms:
- Bulmer (W.) and Co. -- Printer.Chamberlaine, John, 1745-1812. -- Publisher.Dunn, Gertrude Paterson, b. 1874 -- Bookplate.Fergusson, Robert Cutlar, 1836-1859 -- Provenance.George III, King of Great Britain, 1738-1820 -- Art collections.Great Britain -- Biography -- Portraits.Great Britain -- Court and courtiers.Henry VIII, King of England, 1491-1547.Holbein, Hans, 1497-1543.Nicol (G. and W.) -- Publisher.Nicol, G. -- Publisher.Stipple engraving, colored -- Specimens -- 1792-1800.Wright, J. -- Bookbinder.
YCBA Collections Search
Chamberlaine, John, 1745-1812, Imitations of original drawings by Hans Holbein,, 1792 [i. e. 1792-1800]
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.