A voyage to the Pacific ocean. Undertaken, by the command of His Majesty, for making discoveries in the Northern hemisphere. To determine the position and extent of the west side of North America; its distance from Asia; and the practicability of a northern passage to Europe. Performed under the direction of Captains Cook, Clerke, and Gore, in His Majesty's ships the Resolution and Discovery. In the years 1776, 1777, 1778, 1779, and 1780 ... Vol. I. and II. written by Captain James Cook, F. R. S. Vol. III. by Captain James King, L. L. D. and F. R. S. Illustrated with maps and charts, from the original drawings made by Lieut. Henry Roberts ... with a great variety of portraits ... views ... and historical representations ... drawn by Mr. Webber ... Published by order of the lords commissioners of the Admiralty ...
- London, Printed by W. and A. Strahan, for G. Nicol, and T. Cadell, 1784.
- Physical Description:
- 3 v. plates (part fold.) maps (part fold.) charts (part fold.) 30 cm. & atlas 57 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A G3View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- The plates, including maps and charts, are numbered 1-87, 64 of which, marked * in the list of plates, are bound separately.
The British Art Center copy has the plate "The death of Captain Cook" by Bartolozzi and Byrne, after Webber, bound in at the end of the atlas.
Maps or charts engraved by T. Harmar, W. Harrison, Mw. Smith, or W. Palmer; after Henry Roberts.
Plates by Newton, J. Caldwall, P. Mazell, B. T. Pouncy, Wm. Sharp, W. Byrne, J. Heath, I. Taylor, J. Hall, W. Ellis, W. Woollett, F. Bartolozzi, J. K. Sherwin, Lerpernere, Scott, S. Middiman, J. Record, S. Smith, J. Basire, Delattre, W. Angus, C. Grignion, T. Cook, Woodyer, and P. Benezech; after J. Webber, and Wm. Bligh.
- Subject Terms:
- Cadell, T. -- Publisher.Clerke, Charles, 1741-1779.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1784.Gore, John, 1730?-1790.Nicol, G. -- Publisher.Northeast Passage.Northwest Passage.Oceania -- Discovery and exploration.Oliphant, Mr. -- Autograph, 1784.Pacific Coast (North America)Strahan (W. and A.) -- Printer.Voyages around the world.
Wilde Americk - Discovery and Exploration of the New World, 1500-1850 (Yale Center for British Art, 2001-09-27 - 2001-09-27) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]