Britton, John, 1771-1857, A dictionary of the architecture and archaeology of the middle ages, 1838
- A dictionary of the architecture and archaeology of the middle ages: including words used by ancient and modern authors in treating of architectural and other antiquities ... also, biographical notices of ancient architects. By John Britton .. Illustrated by numerous engravings by J. Le Keux ...
- London, Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longmans, and the author, 1838.
- Physical Description:
- 2 p. ., [iii]-xii, [iii]-xiv, , 249,  p. 39 plates (incl. plans) 36 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA31 B78 1836b+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Added t.-p., engraved, dated 1830.
"Titles of books and other authorities consulted for, and referred to": p. [iii]-xiv.
"A tabular chronological epitome of the history of architecture in England. By George Godwin, jun.":  p. at end.
"Printed by James Moyes."
Plates printed by Barnett, Barnett and Son, or Hayward.
Plates by J. Le Keux; after G. Cattermole, C. Hacker, J. Carter, T. H. Clarke, Carter & Cresy, S. Rayner, Sir James Hull[!], J. Clayton, and J. R. Thomson.
Initial; by S. Williams.
BAC: British Art Center copy includes engraved portrait of the author, and drawings for the plates. The drawings have been transferred to the Prints & Drawings department (B1977.14.22241-42).
- Subject Terms:
- Archaeology -- Dictionaries.Architects.Architecture -- Dictionaries.Architecture -- England.Architecture, Medieval.Barnett and Son -- Printer.Barnett, -- Printer.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1838.Hayward, -- Printer.Longman, Orme, Brown, Green, and Longmans -- Publisher.Moyes, James -- Printer.Sebright, John Saunders, Sir, 1767-1846 -- Bookplate, 1838.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.