Gillray, James, 1756-1815, A new edition considerably enlarged, of Attitudes faithfully copied from nature , 
- A new edition considerably enlarged, of Attitudes faithfully copied from nature : and humbly dedicated to all admirers of the grand and sublime.
- Alternate Title(s):
- Attitudes faithfully copied from nature
- London : Published March 2nd 1807 by H. Humphrey, 27 St. James's Street, 
- Physical Description:
-  p.,  leaves of plates : etchings ; 31 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPN3205 .R4 1807+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Title page engraved.
Attribution to James Gillray based on an inscription on the copy in The Lewis Walpole Library, Yale University.
Caricatures of Friedrich Rehberg's Drawings faithfully copied from nature at Naples (originally published 1794), with the figure of Emma Hamilton considerably enlarged.
Plates printed on blue paper and mounted.
BAC: British Art Center copy imperfect: title page wanting (title and imprint from British Museum Catalogue). Bound in full gilt-tooled long-grain morocco, with gilt edges. Bound by Rivere & Son. Armorial bookplates of Graham of Ardoch and Hampton of Anglesey. Has bound with it: Rehberg, F. Drawings faithfully copied from nature at Naples ([London?: S.W. Fores?] 1794). The caricatures in the present volume are juxtaposed (on facing pages) with the corresponding originals in Rehberg's work. Also has bound with it, as frontispiece: Dido in despair! (London: H. Humphrey, 1801) [George 9572].
Lewis Walpole Library copy: With original brown wrappers, detached. Inscription in the hand of James Gillray on title page: "Lt. Col. Birch from the Author." Caricatures of the obese Emma Hamilton are on coral-colored paper.
- Subject Terms:
- Birch, Thomas James, ca. 1768-1829 -- Presentation inscription from James Gillray.Etching -- Specimens -- 1807.Gillray, James, 1756-1815 -- Presentation inscription to Lt. Col. Birch.Graham -- Bookplate.Hamilton, Emma, Lady, 1761?-1815 -- Caricatures and cartoons.Hampton -- Bookplate.Humphrey, H. -- Publisher.Rehberg, Friedrich, 1758-1835. Drawings faithfully copied from nature at Naples.Rivere & Son -- Binder.Tableaux.
- Etchings -- England -- London -- 1807.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.