Facsimile of the sketch-book of Wilars de Honecort, an architect of the thirteenth century; with commentaries and descriptions by M. J. B. A. Lassus ... and by M. J. Quicherat ... translated and edited, with many additional articles and notes by the Rev. Robert Willis ...
- London, John Henry and James Parker, 1859.
- Physical Description:
- xii, 243 p. illus., LXXIII plates (incl. front. facsims.) plan. 32 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNA1053 .V6 A3+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- "Printed by messrs. Parker, Cornmarket, Oxford."
Frontispiece by Charles Negre; illustrations by O. Jewitt, or Pégard; some after R. Willis, or Guillaumot jeune.
Part of the plates are double; the frontispiece is a mounted portrait of J. B. A. Lassus.
"This ... work ... is contained in the collection of manuscripts from the Abbey of St. Germain des Prés deposited in the Imperial library at Paris (S. G. Latin 1104)"--p.  It is now no. 19093 of the French manuscripts in the Bibliothèque nationale, Paris.
"The facsimile plates ... were engraved ... under the direction of M. Lassus. The collection of materials for their illustration and the preparation of the commentary employed so much time, that upon his ... death ... the work was left incomplete. His manuscripts were placed in the hands of M. Darcel, and were by him prepared for publication, and ... issued ... last year. The text of the present volume differs in many respects from that of the French edition."--p. vii.
BAC: British Art Center copy includes manuscript annotations; extra-illustrated.
- Subject Terms:
- Architecture, Medieval.Bibliothèque nationale (France). Manuscript. Français 19093.Burges, William, 1827-1881 -- Autograph.Drawing, French -- France -- Paris.Emerson, W. -- Autograph.Manuscripts, French -- Facsimiles.Oxford, (England) -- Imprints -- 1859.Parker (John Henry & James) -- Publisher.
- Wood engravings -- 1859.
Lithographs -- 1859.
Extra-illustrated copies (Provenance)
YCBA Collections Search
Villard, de Honnecourt, 13th cent, Facsimile of the sketch-book of Wilars de Honecort, an architect of the thirteenth century;, 1859
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.