Burnet, John, 1784-1868, A treatise on painting, 1837
- A treatise on painting. In four parts ... The whole illustrated by examples from the Italian, Venetian, Flemish, and Dutch schools. By John Burnet ...
- London, James Carpenter, 1837.
- Physical Description:
- 4 v. in 1. ill., plates (part. col.) 28 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1135 .B77+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Each part has also been published separately, and has special t.-p. and pagination.
Plates by John Burnet; after A. Cuyp, Raffaelle, Masaccio, Reynolds, Rembrandt, James Burnet, P. Potter, A. Ostade, Claude, Rubens, P. deLaer, Metzu, Terburg, Corregio, Guido, Domenichino, B. West, D. Wilkie, Vandyke, Titian, G. Dow, P. Nolpe, A. Vandivelde, Teniers, P. Veronese, and P. de Hooge.
Some illustrations by Marx Hart.
"Printed by C. Whittingham."
- An essay on the education of the eye with reference to painting ...2d ed. 1839.--Practical hints on composition in painting ... 5th ed. 1836.--Practical hints on light and shade in painting ... 5th ed. 1838.--Practical hints on colour in painting ... 4th ed. 1835.
- Subject Terms:
- Carpenter, James -- Publisher.Painting -- Study and teaching.Whittingham, C. -- Printer.
- Etchings -- 1837.
Wood engravings -- 1837.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.