A treatise on painting. In four parts ... The whole illustrated by examples from the Italian, Venetian, Flemish, and Dutch schools. By John Burnet ...
- New ed.
- London, Henry Sothern & Co., 1880.
- Physical Description:
- 4 v. in 1. ill., 33 plates (part col.) 29 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND1135 B77 1880b+ OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Some illustrations by Marx Hart.
Plates by John Burnet; after A. Cuyp, Raffaelle, Masaccio, Reynolds, Rembrandt, James Burnet, P. Potter, A. Ostrade, Claude, Rubens, P. de Laer, Metzu, Terburg, Corregio, Guido, Domenichino, B. West, D. Wilkie, Vandyke, Titian, G. Dow, P. Nolpe, A. Vandivelde, Teniers, Wouvermans, Hondekooter, Frank Hals, P. Veronese, and P. de Hooge.
Printed by Waterlow and Sons, or C. Whittingham, Chiswick.
Each part, also published separately, has special t.-p. and separate paging. Parts 2-4 published by James Carpenter.
- Subject Terms:
- Carpenter, James -- Publisher.Cross, C. -- Bookbinder.Drummond, Henry, 1786-1869 -- Bookplate.Painting -- Study and teaching.Sotheran (Henry) & Co. -- Publisher.Waterlow and Sons -- Printer.Whittingham, C. -- Printer.
- Etchings -- 1880.
Wood engravings -- 1880.
- An essay on the education of the eye with reference to painting ... 4th ed. 1880.--Practical hints on composition in painting ... 6th ed. 1845.--Practical hints on light and shade in painting ...6th ed. 1849.--Practical hints on colour in painting ...5th ed. 1843.