The miracles of Our Lord.
- Additional Title(s):
Bible. N.T. Selections. English. 1848.
- London, Longman & Co., 1848.
- Physical Description:
- , 31, iv p. ill. 17 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND3410 B4 H8View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Ornamental borders, and illustrations, in color.
"Remarks of the illuminator. Descriptive index of the miracles" signed: H. N. H. [i. e. Henry Noel Humphreys]
"The title-page contains a figure of the Saviour ... in a niche, ornamented in a style corresponding with the rest of the volume."--p. iii.
"It has been sought to render the cover also appropriate, by enriching it with medallions representing the principal miracles: it has been partly taken from a ... cover in carved ivory, executed in the 12th century ... The designs of the medallions are original."--p. iv.
Possibly printed by Owen Jones.--Cf. Friedman, Joan. Color printing in England. New Haven, l978, l66.
Friedman, J. Color printing in England, 1486-1870, 166
Selected exhibitions: "Color Printing in England, 1486-1870" (Yale Center for British Art, 20 April-25 June, 1978).
- Subject Terms:
- Illumination of books and manuscripts.Jesus Christ -- Miracles.Jones, Owen, 1809-1874. -- Printer.Longman & Co. -- Publisher.
- Chromolithographs -- 1848.