An introduction to the general art of drawing, wherein is set forth the grounds and properties, which of this infallible and judicious art are necessary to be known and understood ... with an illustration of 25 copper prints ... Likewise, An excellent treatise of the art of limning in which the true grounds and the perfect use of water-colours ... are ... taught. Formerly set out by ... Gerhard of Brugge. And now much augmented and amended, with some observations, touching ... the colouring and painting with water-colours. Truly tr. into English by J. L.
- London, Printed for Rob. Pricke, and are to be sold at his shop adjoining to Cripple-Gate within ..., 1674.
- Physical Description:
- 2 pts. plates. 24 cm. (4 to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC705 G63 copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC705 G63 copy 2View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Full Orbis Record:
- Translation of: Inleyding tot de praktijk der algemeene schilder-konst.
Signatures (copy 1): a²A-I² ²A-I²(²I²[blank?] wanting); plates  (1 opp. B2r and 23 after I2v)
British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 has several mss. sketches and some margin annotation; also autographs of Thomas Worsley and William Slater(?). Copy 2 is wanting all of part 1 (An introduction to the general art of drawing ... ) as well as last two leaves of text (²I-I). Also mutilated: publisher's name cut or scratched out from t.p. (²A1r) and ²H2v.
Part 2 has special t.-p. (The art of limning ...) and separate pagination.
Wing, D.G. Short-title catalogue of books printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English books printed in other countries, 1641-1700, G. 1004
- Subject Terms:
- Bute, John Stuart, Earl of, 1713-1792 -- Bookplate.Drawing -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Drawing -- Technique.Pricke, Robert -- Publisher.Slater, William -- Autograph.Watercolor painting -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.Watercolor painting -- Technique.Worsley, Thomas -- Autograph, 1726.
- Drawing books.
Handbooks and manuals.
Engravings -- 1674.
The Line of Beauty : British Drawings and Watercolors of the Eighteenth Century (Yale Center for British Art, 2001-05-19 - 2001-08-05) [YCBA Objects in the Exhibition]