Grindlay, Robert Melville, Scenery, costumes and architecture, chiefly on the western side of India , 1830
Scenery, costumes and architecture, chiefly on the western side of India / by Captain Robert Melville Grindlay.
- London : Smith, Elder & Co., Cornhill, 1830.
- Physical Description:
- 26,  pages,  leaves of plates : illustrations ; 43 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D 35Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by William Alexander, Richard Gilson Reeve, Theodore Henry Adolphus Fielding, George Hunt, Charles Bentley, Louis Haghe, H. Pyall, C. F. Hunt, J. Baily, S. G. Hughes, and T. Edge; after William Allsup, Robert Grindlay, William Westall, G. Hawkins, William Witherington, William Daniell, Lt. Col. John Johnson, G. Rawle, John Willis, Charles Peter Auber, Clarkson Stanfield, Anthony Vandyke Copley Fielding, William Purser, and David Roberts.
Plates 2-6 and 9-13 colored by J.B. Hogarth.
Originally published in parts, initially by Ackermann (parts 1-2) and subsequently by Smith, Elder, from 1826 to 1830. Smith Elder produced the present one-volume edition of this work in 1830 with a single title page and single list of contents. See: Abbey. Plates corresponding to the initial parts still with the imprint of Ackermann.
Title page is engraved.
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 442 note
Colas, R. Costume, 1334
BAC: British Art Center copy bound in brown half morocco with marbled boards. Inscribed: For my dearest wife from her affectionate husband. Xmas day, 1853.
- Subject Terms:
- Costume -- India.Costumes -- India -- 19th century.India -- Pictorial works.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1830.
Lithographs -- 1830.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.