Grindlay, Robert Melville, Scenery, costumes and architecture, chiefly on the western side of India , 1826-1830
Scenery, costumes and architecture, chiefly on the western side of India / by Captn. Robert Melville Grindlay.
- London : Published by R. Ackermann, Strand, 1826-1830.
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes : illustrations ; 43 cm
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D 34 Copy 1Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A D 34 Copy 2Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Engravings by William Alexander, Richard Gilson Reeve, Theodore Henry Adolphus Fielding, George Hunt, Charles Bentley, Louis Haghe, H. Pyall, C. F. Hunt, J. Baily, S. G. Hughes, J. Willis, H. Melville, and T. Edge; after William Allsup Robert Grindlay, William Westall, G. Hawkins, William Witherington, William Daniell, Lt. Col. John Johnson, G. Rawle, John Willis, Charles Peter Auber, Clarkson Stanfield, Anthony Vandyke Copley Fielding, William Purser, and David Roberts.
Plates 2-6 and 9-13 colored by J.B. Hogarth.
Originally published in parts. Ackermann published the first two parts (part 2 in collaboration with William Sams); Smith, Elder & Co. published the remainder, from 1826 to 1830. See: Abbey.
Title page to volume 1 is engraved (and printed à la poupée); title page to volume 2 is lithographed.
Colas, R. Costume, 1334
Abbey, J.R. Travel, 442
Hiler, H. Bibliography of costume, p. 397
Lipperheidesche Kostümbibliothek (2. Aufl), Ld21
BAC: British Art center copy 1 is the Abbey copy. Bound 2 volumes in 1, in contemporary gilt tooled dark crimson morocco (by V. Elkins).
BAC: British Art center copy 2 is in two parts. Bound in publisher's original brown half morocco with marbled boards. Title page for parts 2-6 bound in as are the advertisements, which are not present in the Abbey copy. Armorial bookplate: John Petty Muspratt. Autograph: Julia Rose Muspratt, 1853.
Originally published in six parts.
Volume 2 published by Smith, Elder & Co., Cornhill.
- Subject Terms:
- Costume -- India.Elkins, V., bookbinder.India -- Pictorial works.Muspratt, John Petty, 1857-1945 -- BookplateMuspratt, Rose Julia -- Autograph, 1853.
- Aquatints -- Hand-colored -- 1826-1830.
Lithographs -- 1826-1830.
A la poupée prints -- England -- 1826-1830.
Armorial bookplates (Provenance)
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.