Porta, Giambattista della, 1535?-1615, De humana physiognomonia , 1586
De humana physiognomonia : libri IIII ... / Io. Baptistae Portae Neapolitani.
- Vico Equesne [Italy] : Apud Iosephum Cacchium, 1586.
- Physical Description:
- 265 [i.e. 272] p. : ill., port. ; 33 cm. (fol.)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsBF840 P65+ OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- British Art Center copy has same errors in printing of engravings as Hofer copy.
On leaves R3v and R4r the two engravings of hog and bull are transposed (the bull should be on the left-hand page.)
Leaf 2B2r was printed with the engraving of horse and man that appears earlier on leaf Z3r; a cancel engraving of the ichneumon has been pasted over it.
Signatures: **²A-2L⁴(G2 missigned F2)
Page numbers transposed on p. 265 and 272.
Bound in limp vellum, with two pairs of ties removed.
Engraved t.p. with abbreviated title (De hvm. physiognomonia) set in type above engraving and imprint set in type below.
Cacchi was first printer at Vico Equesne.
Harvard College Library. Catalogue of books and manuscripts. Italian 16th century books, 398.
- Subject Terms:
- Brodie, Thomas Dawson, Sir, 1832-1896 -- Bookplate.Cacchi, Guiseppe -- Printer.Gibson Craig, James Thomson, 1799-1886 -- Provenance.Physiognomy -- Early works to 1800.
- Engravings -- 1586.
Woodcuts -- 1586.
- IIIF Manifest:
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.