Horsfield, Thomas Walker, -1837, The history, antiquities, and topography of the county of Sussex, 1835
The history, antiquities, and topography of the county of Sussex. By Thomas Walker Horsfield ...
- Lewes, Sussex Press, Baxter; 1835.
London, Nichols and Son, 1835.
- Physical Description:
- 2 v., front., plates, port., folded maps, plans. 34 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670.S98 .H8+ OversizeAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open to Yale ID holders by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- LWL Quarto 64 Su82 835: Gift of Andrew Oliver to Yale University Library, Mar. 1970; on permanent loan to LWL.
Plates engraved by Edward Scriven, Benjamin R. Davies, Charles John Smith, Dean Wolstenholm, George Baxter, Henry A. Ogg, Silvester and Co., John Henry Hurdis, Samuel Cousins, John Jones, Robert Bremmel Schnebbelie, William Westall, C. Mattram, William Woolnoth, Joseph John Jenkins, and Philipp Audinet; after Thomas Henwood, Benjamin R. Davies, G. Earpe, Fox, John Henry Hurdis, Henry Howard, [Samuel] Buck, Sir Joshua Reynolds, Robert Bremmel Schnebbelie, Charles John Smith, Charles Wild, John Buckler, [Samuel Hieronymus] Grimm, F. M., T. Bagg, Lady Burrell, Ramsay Richard Reinagle, H. S., Lady E. Dickens, and John Chessell Buckler.
"In the compilation of the first volume, which contains East Sussex, Horsfield was assisted by William Durant Cooper ... the second volume on West Sussex, is mainly an abridgmentt of the histories of Dallaway and Cartwright.--Dict. nat. biog.
Cooper's "Parliamentary history of ... Sussex," published separately in 1834, is incorporated in the appendix to vol. 2.
- Subject Terms:
- Baxter -- Publisher.Nichols and Son -- Publisher.Normanton family -- Bookplate.Sussex (England) -- Description and travel.Sussex (England) -- History.
- Aquatints -- 1835.
Mezzotints -- 1835.
Engravings -- 1835.
Etchings -- 1835.
Stipple engravings -- 1835.
Chiaroscuro woodcuts -- 1835.
Wood engravings -- 1835.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.