A compleat treatise on perspective, in theory and practice; on the true principles of Dr. Brook Taylor. Made clear, in theory, by various moveable schemes, and diagrams; and reduced to practice ... Containing diagrams, views, and original designs, in architecture, &c. ... All originals; invented, delineated, and, great part, engraved by the author, Thomas Malton.
- London, Printed for the author, and sold by Messrs. Robson [etc.] 1776.
- Physical Description:
- 2 p. l., viii, , 284 p. front., XLVI fold. pl. (incl. diagrs.) 38 cm. (4to)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC749 M3 1776+ Copy 1 OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsNC749 M3 1776+ Copy 2 OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 is in original boards and has the autograph and stamp of Sir Joshua Reynolds and the bookplate of Wilmarth Sheldon Lewis. Copy 2 has the autograph of John Thomas Dowling.
Plates engraved by Thomas Malton, Peter Mazell, Tobias Miller (i.e. Müller), Anker Smith and Joseph Colyer; after Thomas Malton.
Signatures: pi² a-b² A-4B² a-b²
Later "An appendix, or second part" was published.
- Subject Terms:
- Dowling, John Thomas -- Autograph, 1847.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1776.Lewis, W. S. (Wilmarth Sheldon), 1895-1979 -- Bookplate.Perspective.Reynolds, Joshua, Sir, 1723-1792 -- Autograph.Reynolds, Joshua, Sir, 1723-1792 -- Stamp.Robson -- Publisher.
YCBA Collections Search
Malton, Thomas, 1726-1801, A compleat treatise on perspective, in theory and practice;, 1776