An essay towards a topographical history of the county of Norfolk, containing a description of the towns, villages, and hamlets, with the foundations of monasteries ... and other religious buildings ... Collected out of leiger-books, registers ... and other authentic memorials, by Francis Blomefield ...
- [Fersfield, Norfolk] Printed at Fersfield, 1739-1775.
- Physical Description:
- 5 v. illus., port., maps, plans, facsim., fold. geneal. tab. 36 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 N6 B6+ Copy 1 OversizeYale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsDA670 N6 B6+ Copy 2 OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 2 wanting vols. 3-5.
Plates engraved by William Henry Toms, W. P., George Vertue, and P. Lombart; after T. Martin, Francis Blomefield, Thomas Ripley, Henry Bell, Sir William Dugdale, and William Rastrick.
Title of v. 1 in red and black; v. 4-5 paged continuously. The first 2 vols. and part of v. 3 appeared in numbers.
Title and imprint vary: v. 2, An essay towards a topographical history of the county of Norfolk, containing the history of the city of Norwich ... Printed at Norwich, 1745. (This is a new t.-p. differing from the original which has imprint: Printed at Fersfield, 1741.) v. 3, An essay ... By Francis Blomefield ... and continued from page 678, by the late Reverend Charles Parkin ... Lynn, Printed and sold by W. Whittingham, 1769. v. 4-5, An essay ... By the late Reverend Charles Parkin. Lynn, 1775.
For errors in paging see Upcott.
The plate, "Monuments of Bishop Hall," mentioned in Upcott's collation, does not belong to this work. Cf. Lowndes.
At Blomefield's death v. 3, being but half finished, was entrusted to Charles Parkin for completion. He died before it had been completed or printed, and the work was ultimately finished by some bookseller's hack, employed by Whittingham of Lynn. cf. Dict. nat. biog.
- Subject Terms:
- Baldwin, R. -- Publisher.Bardwell, Thomas Newman Frederick, 1850-1931 -- Bookplate.Society of the Sacred Mission (Kelham) -- Bookplate.Swayne, Frances Louisa -- Bookplate.Swayne, Joseph Griffiths -- Bookplate.Whittingham, William -- Publisher.
- Engravings -- 1739-1775.
Woodcuts -- 1739-1775.
Etchings -- 1739-1775.
YCBA Collections Search
Blomefield, Francis, 1705-1752, An essay towards a topographical history of the county of Norfolk,, 1739-1775
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.