Johnson, Samuel, 1709-1784, The lives of the most eminent English poets , 1783
- The lives of the most eminent English poets : with critical observations on their works / by Samuel Johnson ...
- A new edition, corrected.
- London : Printed for C. Bathurst, J. Buckland, W. Strahan [and 32 others] 1783.
- Physical Description:
- 4 v. : port. ; 22 cm. (8vo)
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsPR553 J63 1783Accessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- BEIR Ib55 f779c copy 1: Autograph: Wm. Handyside.
Portrait of Samuel Johnson engraved by Thomas Trotter after Sir Joshua Reynolds.
Signatures: v. 1. a⁴ B-2F⁸ G⁴; v. 2. a² B-2E⁸ F⁴; v. 3. a² B-H⁸ (H6 + *H²) I-2E⁸; v. 4. a² B-2H⁸ 2I⁴ [A]2-[A]⁸ (2I4r signed [A])
Advertisements:  p. at end of v. 4.
- v. 1. Cowley. Denham. Milton. Butler. Rochester. Roscommon. Otway. Waller. Pomfret. Doreset. Stepney. Phillips. Walsh.--v. 2. Dryden. Smith. Duke. King. Sprat. Halifax. Parnell. Garth. Rowe. Addison. Hughes. Sheffield.--v. 3. Prior. Congreve. Blackmore. Fenton. Gay. Granville. Yalden. Tickell. Hammond. Somerville. Savage. Swift. Broome.--v. 4. Pope. Pitt. Thomson. Watts. A. Philips. West. Collins. Dyer. Shenstone. Young. Mallet. Akenside. Grey. Lyttelton.
- Subject Terms:
- Bathurst, C. -- Publisher.Buckland, J. -- Publisher.English poetry -- 18th century -- History and criticism.English poetry -- Early modern, 1500-1700 -- History and criticism.Engraving -- Specimens -- 1783.Handyside, William -- Autograph.Morough, Earl of Inchiquin, d. 1808 -- Bookplate.Poets, English -- Biography.Reynolds, Joshua, Sir, 1723-1792 -- Autograph.Strahan, W. -- Publisher.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.