A record of the Black Prince. Being a selection of such passages in his life as have been most quaintly and strikingly narrated by chroniclers of the period, embellished with highly wrought miniatures and borderings selected from various illuminated mss., referring to events connected with English history. By Henry Noel Humphreys.
- London, Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans, 1849.
- Physical Description:
- 3 p.l., xciv, ii p. col. illus. 20 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsND3416 H9 Copy 1View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.Rare Books and ManuscriptsND3416 H9 Copy 2View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Public Domain
- Abbey, J.R. Life in England in aquatint and lithography, 1770-1860, 223.
British Art Center has 2 copies. Copy 1 is the Abbey copy and has the bookplate of the Dalison family. Copy 2 has the autographs of Arabella Sarah Colston and Samuel Hunt Colston.
Black papier-mâché binding with leather spine. Copy 1 is in paper case, as issued.
Advertisements:  leaf at end of copy 2.
"In order to give as much as possible of the original 'old book' charm to these passages from the chroniclers, they have been carefully printed, with suitable 'Rubrics,' in black letter, from old type that appears to have been actually used by ... the celebrated Caxton ... A massive carved binding has been added, in order that the volume may convey, as completely as possible, the impression of one of those richly embellished books of chronicles that form the gems of some of our greatest public and private libraries."--Pref.
"The carved cover is taken from one of the compartments of the prince's tomb at Canterbury, slightly altered for its present purpose" [p. ii at end] and bears the coat of arms of the Black prince.
- Subject Terms:
- Bookbinding -- England -- 19th century -- Specimens.Bookbinding -- Specimens -- 1849 -- Papier-mâché.Colston, Arabella Sarah, d. 1891 -- Autograph.Colston, Samuel Hunt, b. 1825 -- Autograph.Dalison family -- Bookplate.Edward, Prince of Wales, 1330-1376.Great Britain -- History -- Edward III, 1327-1377.Illumination of books and manuscripts -- Specimens.Leighton Brothers -- Bookbinder.Longman, Brown, Green, and Longmans -- Publisher.Vizetelly Brothers and Co. -- Printer.
- Chromolithographs -- 1849.
- IIIF Manifest:
YCBA Collections Search
Humphreys, Henry Noel, 1810-1879, A record of the Black Prince, 1849
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.