History of the orders of knighthood of the British Empire : of the Order of Guelphs of Hanover, and of the medals, clasps, and crosses, conferred for naval and military services / by Sir Nicholas Harris Nicolas ...
- London : J. Hunter, 1842.
- Physical Description:
- 4 v. col. fronts., illus., col. plates, 39 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsCR4801 N5+ OversizeView by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- Text printed by Charles Whittingham.
Color plates printed by George Baxter. Some plates engraved by George Edward Madeley and Mary Byfield.
Most of the plates "ornamented in gold." This copy includes several hand-colored lithographs, and the frontispiece of Queen Victoria.
"There seem to be several issues of the book, the earliest ... dated 1839, and the latest about 1844, but not all of them contain the Frontispiece of Queen Victoria ..., and not all issues are ornamented in gold, but in yellow only. In some issues there are two or three lithographs ... hand-colored."--Lewis, p. 317.
Lewis, C.T.C. George Baxter, p. 317-318.
- Subject Terms:
- Baxter, George, 1804-1867 -- Printer.Great Britain. Army -- Medals, badges, decorations, etc.Great Britain. Royal Navy -- Medals, badges, decorations, etc.Heraldry.Hunter, John -- Publisher.Knights and knighthood.Orders of knighthood and chivalry -- Great Britain.Pickering, William -- Publisher.Rodwell, John -- Publisher.Royal Guelphic order.Sydney, William Robert, Sir, 1799-1866 -- Autograph.Sydney, William Robert, Sir, 1799-1866 -- Bookplate.Whittingham, Charles -- Printer.
- Chromoxylographs -- 1842.
Wood engravings -- 1842.
Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- 1842.
YCBA Collections Search
Nicolas, Nicholas Harris, Sir, 1799-1848, History of the orders of knighthood of the British Empire , 1842
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.