Camp of Aldershott, [18--]
- Camp of Aldershott.
- [Germany? : s.n.], [18--]
- Physical Description:
- 1 game (82 pieces) : lead and cloth, col. ; in box, 19 x 30 x 5 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsFolio A 2015 25Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon CollectionAccessible by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: As a COVID-19 precaution, the Study Room is closed until further notice.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Information
- Three-Dimensional Artifacts
- In original wooden box with sliding lid, as issued.
Includes lead soldiers, cannons, cloth tents & bits of scenery.
Title from box lid.
Illustration of soldiers at the camp on lid, signed Stück.
A military camp was established at Aldershot in 1855. Wooden huts were erected that year, with more permanent buildings built in 1881. The game could date from 1855-1881.
Cottage of content, or, Toys, games, and amusements of nineteenth century England, 72
Selected exhibitions: “The Cottage of Content : or, Toys, Games, and Amusements of Nineteenth Century England" (Yale Center for British Art, November 2 - December 31, 1977).
- Exhibition History:
- <double click to display>
- <double click to hide>
- Subject Terms:
- Aldershot Camp -- Pictorial works.Great Britain. Army -- Pictorial works.Military camps -- Pictorial works.
- Lithographs -- Hand-colored -- [18--].
Games -- Great Britain.
Recreations -- Great Britain.
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.