The world displayed, or, A curious collection of voyages and travels : selected from the writers of all nations : in which the conjectures and interpolations of several vain editors and translators are expunged, every relation is made concise and plain, and the divisions of countries and kingdoms are clearly and distinctly noted : illustrated and embellished with variety of maps and prints by the best hands.
- The second edition.
- London : Printed for J. Newbery, at The Bible and Sun, in St. Paul's Church-Yard, 1760-1761.
- Physical Description:
- 20 v. : ill., col. maps, plans ; 14 cm.
- Rare Books and ManuscriptsG160 W93 1760 Copy 1View by request in the Study Room [Request]
Note: The Study Room is open by appointment. Please visit the Study Room page on our website for more details.
- Copyright Status:
- Copyright Not Evaluated
- BAC : British Art Center copy imperfect: v. 11-20 wanting. Binding error: v. 3 is labeled v. 4 and vice versa.
Vol. 1: 1760; v. 2-4: 1761; v. 5-10: 1760
Publisher's statement varies: v. 3-10: Printed for J. Newbery ...; and J. Hoey, jun., in Skinner-Row, Dublin. Edition statement appears only in v. 1.
Advertisements:  p. at end of v. 9.
This copy was given to Mary Palmer by Samuel Johnson.
Introduction by Samuel Johnson.
One map engraved by Emanuel Bowen. Several plans engraved by John Gibson.
Maps are hand-colored.
- Subject Terms:
- Hoey, J., jun. -- Publisher.Kern, Jerome, 1885-1945 -- Bookplate.Newbery, J. -- Publisher.Palmer, Mary, 1716-1794 -- Provenance.Voyages and travels.
- Engravings -- Hand-colored -- 1760-1761.
Etchings -- 1760-1761.
Engravings -- 1760-1761.
YCBA Collections Search
The world displayed, or, A curious collection of voyages and travels , 1760-1761
If you have information about this object that may be of assistance please contact us.